Sunday, September 2, 2012

Ramblings Part 1 - Food

On the importance of food:
This may sound like a very guy thing to talk about, but I invite you think about the role of food and dining in you life. I believe that shared meals with co-workers, friends, and family is in some way fundamentally to proper societal and psychological well being.

Humans are social by nature, even the most introverted of us fall somewhere on a spectrum in the need for social interaction.  Putting aside the obvious fact, digesting of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, et al is essential to human life, meals become a key way of said interaction. I have noted that in my conversations with friends and family back in the states, one of the first questions asked is, "How is the food?" When talking with other expatriates, one of the initial conversation pieces are about good place to dine. In talking with the locals, they want to know what you think about their national food, and what you like from your home country. All this could be because people are just trying to be polite and make small talk, but I think there is more to it. I propose that food is more than just nourishment, but a societal ingredient for a better life. 

Note: When eating one is usually more relaxed and therefore perhaps more willing to converse about controversial issues without getting overly worked up.    

Over a meals the topics I have discussed or listened to in the last 2 months have been incredible. The three no-no topics of politics, religion, sex, as well as literature, art, music, food and drink, etc have been discussed. The meal is a place to kick back in relax. Here lunch break is 2 hours long and after a day at work, dinner can take that long as well. However conversation over the meal leads to informing and sharping you own thoughts and opinions. It challenges you to think critically about how you understand yourself and how you perceive the world around you. Stimulating dinner conversation also drives you to be a better informed person, and how to express yourself confidently and boldly. It takes intellectual/metal courage at times to talk about the sticky subjects. Doing this with a steak, a side of vegetables, and a glass of wine just seems to help the whole evening be enjoyable. Meals then are important, and to be taken seriously.

When you have dinner, have it with a friend and don't rush off for the next tv episode or football game. That is all for now.    

2 comments:

  1. I was in France for 3 years and I just love the way the French eat in a relaxed fashion. That was back in the 1950's...I hope it hasn't changed much.
    I write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “Accordingtothebook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.. I’m your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. PLUS: It's incredible how a well known dish can make you feel at home. I guess that is why I get very happy when I see a German restaurant (or even better - a German bakery) in a foreign country I am visiting... Your German sistor ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are appreciated. Please post.