Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 4 - Monday into Tuesday

Nothing that exceptional happened today, and as such it is interesting trying to sit here and write this post. This last day was one of those days which can cause a man to lose track of all time out here. It was more or less the same as the day before, and the day before that. And yes, I did wake up at the appropriate time.

The evening as marked by making logs at every connection, taking my usual depth and pressure readings, and making the morning report. In this section of well we are putting a curve in it to where it is almost horizontal and it is curving to the lest into the target formation. I spend quite a bit of my down time asking the DD questions and learning what he is looking for and how he plans to steer the well, and why. It is really an art form that makes every well unique. The well designers in Aberdeen, Houston, Stavanger, or where ever come up with a plan for where to put the well  and what its profile will look like. The DD is the person that steers the well according to the plan. The challenge is you never now quite how the tools will respond and how the formations will affect you. As we drilled deeper and deeper last night, we would send downlinks to the BHA telling it which direction to steer and by how much percent of the time. It is really some pretty cool stuff. I end my shift with only 40meters to go until the end of this run. After the section reaches total depth (TD) they will circulate mud for a while to clean the hole from all the cuttings. Then they will pull out of hole (POOH) and we will lay down the BHA. From there we plug cables into our tools and retrieve recorded data from the tool memory. I am now ahead of my self. That will be tomorrows post because we should be laying BHA down around 2300hr this evening (Tuesday).

That is all for now and I am tired. I have been staying past 0600 to talk with the day guys and ask questions about things encountered during the night tour. I will have more to write about tomorrow.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts are appreciated. Please post.